A Mother's Christmas Time Machine


I have no one to blame but myself!  As I started making dinner just now on this early December evening, I decided to listen to the Charlie Brown Christmas Soundtrack and within minutes, I was no longer in Temecula. 
My mind wandered to the Charlie Brown Christmas TV special that I watched as a child and watched again and again with my own children every December. Before I knew it, I had a lump in my throat so tight. I decided that there must be a way to bottle and sell that time in a mother's life when her young children have just come home from school, exhausted from the day, and ready to watch some Charlie Brown special or Lizzy McGuire show on TV. I think only moms of older kids may truly understand what I'm talking about when I describe the comfort of your kids being home during those rare in-between moments, not quite ready to do homework yet, but not needing to dash off for whatever practice or event they'll have later. How do I bottle that feeling?
I really was not that much of a home body when my kids were young.  On the contrary, when my kids weren't in school full time, and I was home with them all day, I couldn't wait for hubby to get home so we could finally get out of the house together!  And as my kids grew older, like most soccer moms, it seemed we were always running from one activity to the next.  Yet, when there were windows of rest during those in between portions of the day, how I LOVED being home with my family.  As these thoughts raced through my mind with that beautiful Vince Guaraldi accompaniment in the background, I realized why I loved it so much.  Home was my gift to them.  And I can tell you that I did NOT savor these seasons as much as I should have. However, I do remember that adrenaline rush I had most days as I either rushed home from my part time job to pick up kids from school, or on days I could be home, as I finished housework or laundry and made sure something sweet or savory smelling would be ready when they walked through the door.  This was my gift to my children. 

With the Holidays, especially Christmas, there was always extra work to do around the house. So. much. work. Yet, it was so worth it to know that my kids could enjoy being in a clean, beautifully decorated home during their winter breaks, even though, being home all day, they would inevitably drive me crazy after a short while!  
I know, it would be impossible for all of that to be bottled! However, I hope that those of you in that precious and short season with your children at home, can savor your holidays together in your home this year. One day, when your kids are grown, you might hear the theme song to their old favorite show play in your head, and you might find yourself wishing for a time machine... just for a few precious hours. 

Call Flooring Direct Temecula if you need a little help with a project around your house! Even if it's over a winter break from school, we'll do our best to get in and out as fast as we can so you can relish your time together this Holiday Season! Follow us on Facebook and Instagram for samples of our work, and plenty of informative flooring-related content!

Written by Michelle Norris, a part of our Flooring Direct Temecula team.

Comments

Popular Posts